Formats: Amazon Instant Video
Amazon Prime members watch at Amazon.com for free!
Kumdo, meaning way of the sword, is very similar to Kendo. Practitioners use the jukdo (split bamboo sword) for striking the opponent. Because combatants wear a helmet and hard body protector (hogoo) they are able to practice full contact strikes to the head and body. Kumdo is an exacting art, with an emphasis on precision and attitude over speed and strength.
In this video, filmed in Kyungjoo, master Lee Sang-hwan, Director of Kyungbuk Kumdo Association and his senior instructors and students demonstrate:
- Grip and posture
- Footwork and movement lines
- Kumdo basic techniques
- A brief history and terminology of Kumdo
- Bowing and etiquette
- Breathing exercises
- Group technique drills: combinations with footwork
- Partner drills wearing full gear
- Daeryun: free sparring sessions
- Interviews with instructors and students