The turtle, traditionally, has been the symbol of longevity and reliability in Eastern thought. Legends of the Turtle in Asia are many: One of the Four Kingdoms of Korea, called Kaya, was founded in 42 A.D. by the legendary King Kim Soo-ro who was believed to have been born from a giant golden turtle egg; Admiral Yi Sun-shin, though overwhelmingly outnumbered, defeated a fleet of enemy ships with his uniquely designed Turtle Boat, called Kobuksun, in 1592. Even today, in Taoist philosophy, there are ten symbols of longevity including the turtle, deer, crane, sun, moon and water.
This theme of longevity has been a guiding principle for Turtle Press. We pride ourselves on producing products that are timeless additions to the martial arts world, a unique blend of tradition and innovation that is our hallmark.
A Tradition of Innovation
Turtle Press was founded in 1989 with the publication of our first book Teaching: The Way of the Master. At that time, there were no materials designed specifically to educate martial arts instructors on the methods and strategies of teaching. Turned down by all of the major martial arts publishers as being too radical or revealing too much information, this book spawned a revolution in the martial arts world. Prior to 1990 there was nowhere for martial arts instructors to turn for information on teaching. Today there are plentiful resources. Turtle Press is proud to have led the martial arts world in a bold new direction, improving the quality of instruction available to students worldwide. Even today, in its expanded second edition, Teaching Martial Arts is one of our top selling titles, educating a new generation of instructors.
As one of the most innovative and forward thinking companies in the martial arts world, Turtle Press has achieved several other firsts that opened the door for those who followed. We were the first to release an organized sparring curriculum for students and instructors, the first to publish a book specifically on the sport, rather than the art, of taekwondo, the first to expose the traditional arts of ssireum, muye ehsip saban and kuk kung to the western world, the first to translate the classic Muye Dobo Tongji into English, the first to publish a book about weight lifting for martial artists, the first to offer our complete product line on the internet, the first to film team training sessions in Korea and release them to the world, the first to create a training diary for martial artists, and the first (and still only) company to offer free online previews of every one of our products.
What Sets us Apart
Turtle Press is proud to be a leader, rather than a follower, in the martial arts industry. We put our customers first with a number of innovations in customer service. In fact, we are the only martial arts book and video producer who:
- + Encourages you to try before you buy. Sample every product we produce free, online.+
- + Has developed an extensive online library of book excerpts, articles and video clips free to customers and browsers alike.
- + Offers quick service. We make every effort to ship your order within 24 hours of receipt, in many cases the same day.
- + Pays the shipping for you when you order online. We don't believe in offering deep discounts and then charging high shipping costs like some companies do. Order online and standard shipping is free!
- + Brings you the most up to date technology. Turtle Press was one of the first to offer martial arts instructional DVDs and is still one of the only companies that creates full featured DVDs with easy to menus, indexes and bonus features.
- + Seeks out and publishes new authors. We are not interested in publishing the same old technique books you will find everywhere else. Turtle Press aggressively seeks out and funds the work of authors who have fresh new ideas in the martial arts field. If you have a manuscript or DVD proposal you would like us to consider, see our submission guidelines page.
- + Brings previously unavailable information to the Western world. There are countless undiscovered martial arts treasures in Asia and Turtle Press is committed to expanding our line of importedbooks and dvds to bring the best of the East to your door step.
- + Is committed to quality. We are constantly investing in the latest production and publishing technology to bring you the highest quality products. Our video production and book publishing operations are all-digital facilities, allowing us to stay on the cutting edge of the industry.
- + Puts the customer first. Through surveys, e-mail and your phone calls, we are constantly striving to develop the products you ask for and to make improvements in existing products with the release of updated editions of our classic products. Your feedback is important to us and we take every suggestion seriously. All of the testimonials you see on this site are from real martial artists. Please feel free to contact us with comments, ideas, questions, suggestions or compliments. We may even use your comment on our web site!
Looking toward the future, Turtle Press is committed to continue bringing you the very best in martial arts educational material. We are excited about the potential for opening new vistas in the martial arts and hope you will join us in celebrating the diversity of our martial arts heritage.